Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Horehound is an herb that was most oftenly used for medicinal purposed way back in the pioneer days. Sometimes this so-called "candy" was used as cough drops.
- 1 cup dried horehound leaves
- 1 quart water
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup dark cane syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Simmer the dried horehound leaves in the quart of water for approximately 30 minutes.
- Cover and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and discard the leaves.
- Add sugar, syrup, and butter.
- Cook mixture until it reaches hard crack stage (300 degrees F).
- Pour into a greased pan and let cool.
- Cut into small drop-like pieces.