Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is actually my version of the rice pudding you get in an East Indian Restaurant. I love that stuff but it's always made with dairy, so I came up with a Vegan recipe that I can enjoy anytime.
- 1 quart horchata (I used Rice Dream brand)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk (I used So Delicious, the original kind)
- 1⁄3 cup white long grain rice (I used Lundburgs Organic)
- 2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup coffee creamer (I used coconut creamer)
- In a heavy saucepan, bring the Hochata to a boil.
- Add the rice, cardamom powder, raisins and 1/2 the sliced almonds.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to medium low and boil until the mixture becomes thick and creamy. Keep an eye on it and stir occasionally.
- Add the sugar and cook another 5 minutes.
- Put the rice mixture into a serving bowl and add the creamer and give it a good mix. Add more raisins if you like.
- Sprinkle the top with the other portion of slivered almonds. Put into the fridge to get cold.
- Bon Appetit!