Horchata (Mexican Breakfast Drink)
- Put the rice in a blender and process for two to three minutes, until ground to a powder.
- Combine the pulverized rice, ground almonds and cinnamon stick. Cover tightly and leave to sit overnight or for at least six hours.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and place the rice mixture in the blender.
- Blend for four or five minutes until the mixture is smooth, powdery and no longer has a gritty texture. Add a third of the water and blend again for about 15 seconds.
- Strain into a jug through a dampened tea towel or coffee filter. Do not skip this step or the drink will have a chalky taste.
- Add most of the remaining water, little by little, as well as the vanilla and the sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- If the mixture is too thick, add some additional water. Horchata should have the consistency of milk.
- Cover and refrigerate. Horchata will keep several days, refrigerated. Serve it chilled in tall glasses over ice.