Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
this is a pretty tasty drink its good for the summer days but takes a day to make:( its a bummer for that reason but its worth the wait its very good Native American drink
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- need also Large Capacity Blender (7-8 Cups).
- Place rice in a bowl with enough hot water to cover.
- Let sit overnight on counter.
- Next day, remove the water.
- Place rice, 1/2 cup fresh water and 2 cups milk in a blender until rice is all ground up.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Blend.
- Add the remaining two cups milk, and 1/2 cup water.
- Strain through thickly layered cheesecloth (more than once may be necessary; do NOT squeeze the cloth).
- Chill and serve. Makes approximately 6 cups.
- Note: This is a favorite for youngsters of all ages. Also, the rice starch in this drink is an excellent way to "put out the fire" on your tongue while eating hot/spicy meals. In summertime, add crushed ice to drink to make a slushy.
/this sounds like the answer to my need to find a homemade Horchata that is delicious and I can't wait to try it. Thanks for putting it in.
I loved this recipe. The finished drink is so light and refreshing. I had to halve the ingredients since I didn't have a large capacity blender, but that was very easy to do. Thank you for this recipe.