Chef Otaktay's Note:
this is a pretty tasty drink its good for the summer days but takes a day to make:( its a bummer for that reason but its worth the wait its very good Native American drink
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1need also Large Capacity Blender (7-8 Cups).
- 2Place rice in a bowl with enough hot water to cover.
- 3Let sit overnight on counter.
- 4Next day, remove the water.
- 5Place rice, 1/2 cup fresh water and 2 cups milk in a blender until rice is all ground up.
- 6Add sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Blend.
- 7Add the remaining two cups milk, and 1/2 cup water.
- 9Strain through thickly layered cheesecloth (more than once may be necessary; do NOT squeeze the cloth).
- 10Chill and serve. Makes approximately 6 cups.
- 11Note: This is a favorite for youngsters of all ages. Also, the rice starch in this drink is an excellent way to "put out the fire" on your tongue while eating hot/spicy meals. In summertime, add crushed ice to drink to make a slushy.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Horchata (Ground Rice Drink)
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.7
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 61.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 5.6 g