Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious and refreshing Mexican non-alcoholic beverage. Prep time does not include pre-soaking of rice and fresh coconut.
- 1 lb uncooked white rice
- 50 g cinnamon sticks
- 15 blanched peeled and toasted almonds
- 1⁄2 fresh coconut, opened, flesh carved, and pulp grated. presoaked for about 30 min in hot water drain
- 1 fresh coconut, its nectar
For sweetening syrup
- 1 kg white sugar
- 1⁄2 liter water
- undiluted evaporated milk, to taste (optional)
- vanilla extract, to taste (optional)
- The night before, soak the rice with the 50 grms.
- cinnamon stick in lukewarm to hot water.
- Next day add the almonds and the presoaked fresh grated coconut and process together in blender.
- Cook the sugar and water together to make a syrup.
- Let it boil until syrup consistency.
- Mix everything together and add enough plain water to serve about 24 people (2 gallons perhaps? Mexican recipe does not specify).
- Taste as you go.
- Optional: Make it creamy, if you wish, by adding undiluted evaporated milk to personal taste.
- Can also add some vanilla extract to your personal taste.
- (I like with vanilla).
- (This is the original recipe and is typical of the state of Campeche in Mexico. I posted an easier one in the"talk" section, but I'd say this is the real mccoy.).