Delicious and refreshing Mexican non-alcoholic beverage. Prep time does not include pre-soaking of rice and fresh coconut.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb uncooked white rice
- 50 g cinnamon sticks
- 15 blanched peeled and toasted almonds
- 1/2 fresh coconut, opened, flesh carved, and pulp grated. presoaked for about 30 min in hot water drain
- 1 fresh coconut, its nectar
For sweetening syrup
- 1The night before, soak the rice with the 50 grms.
- 2cinnamon stick in lukewarm to hot water.
- 3Next day add the almonds and the presoaked fresh grated coconut and process together in blender.
- 4Cook the sugar and water together to make a syrup.
- 5Let it boil until syrup consistency.
- 6Mix everything together and add enough plain water to serve about 24 people (2 gallons perhaps? Mexican recipe does not specify).
- 7Taste as you go.
- 8Optional: Make it creamy, if you wish, by adding undiluted evaporated milk to personal taste.
- 9Can also add some vanilla extract to your personal taste.
- 10(I like with vanilla).
- 11(This is the original recipe and is typical of the state of Campeche in Mexico. I posted an easier one in the"talk" section, but I'd say this is the real mccoy.).
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Horchata De Coco-- Yields 24 Servings
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.8
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 43.2 g
- Protein 2.2 g