1/2 Photos of Horchata De Almendra (Almond Horchata) from Spain
Real Horchata from Valencia is made with Chufa (Tiger Nut). Unfortunately, Chufa is not available (that I know of) in America. A suitable substitute for the Chufas are Almonds, which give the Horchata the same texture and similar taste. Horchata is not a dairy product and contains little fat, so it is often referred to as "the drink of the gods" for it's rich but low-fat flavor. From:email@example.com. I'm assuming that you'll start with blanched almonds and will use a food processor to grind them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The first step is to remove the skins from the almonds.
- 2The best way to do this is to simply buy them already skinless.
- 3If none are available, you will have to boil the skins off.
- 4Put the almonds in a pot of boiling water and let sit until the skins become very soft.
- 5With time, the skins will dissolve or slide off easily when stirred.
- 6Boiling the almonds is a pain.
- 7Crush or otherwise pulverise the almonds into a coarse powder.
- 8If you boiled your almonds to get the skins off, then smash them (or put them in a strong blender while adding some water) into a mush.
- 9In a large bowl/container add the 2.5 liters of water with a pinch of salt.
- 10Slice and add the lemon.
- 11Now mix in the almond powder (or mush). Cover the container and let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- 12When the two hours are up, add the sugar and cinnamon stick.
- 13Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- 14Strain the liquid with a fine cloth.
- 15This removes all of the larger particles of almond.
- 16Strain until texture is smooth (twice should do it).
- 17Keep the drink in your fridge and it will stay good for at least five days.
- 18For a truly divine experience, put some in your freezer until it is an icy slush!
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Horchata De Almendra (Almond Horchata) from Spain
Serving Size: 1 (3564 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1972.8
- Calories from Fat 939
- Total Fat 104.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 773.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 244.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.4 g
- Sugars 210.0 g
- Protein 42.4 g