Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
Real Horchata from Valencia is made with Chufa (Tiger Nut). Unfortunately, Chufa is not available (that I know of) in America. A suitable substitute for the Chufas are Almonds, which give the Horchata the same texture and similar taste. Horchata is not a dairy product and contains little fat, so it is often referred to as "the drink of the gods" for it's rich but low-fat flavor. From:firstname.lastname@example.org. I'm assuming that you'll start with blanched almonds and will use a food processor to grind them.
- 1⁄2 kg almonds (1 pound)
- 1⁄2 kg sugar (may use 1/2 lb to 1 pound, desired)
- 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1⁄2 liters water (warm)
- The first step is to remove the skins from the almonds.
- The best way to do this is to simply buy them already skinless.
- If none are available, you will have to boil the skins off.
- Put the almonds in a pot of boiling water and let sit until the skins become very soft.
- With time, the skins will dissolve or slide off easily when stirred.
- Boiling the almonds is a pain.
- Crush or otherwise pulverise the almonds into a coarse powder.
- If you boiled your almonds to get the skins off, then smash them (or put them in a strong blender while adding some water) into a mush.
- In a large bowl/container add the 2.5 liters of water with a pinch of salt.
- Slice and add the lemon.
- Now mix in the almond powder (or mush). Cover the container and let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- When the two hours are up, add the sugar and cinnamon stick.
- Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Strain the liquid with a fine cloth.
- This removes all of the larger particles of almond.
- Strain until texture is smooth (twice should do it).
- Keep the drink in your fridge and it will stay good for at least five days.
- For a truly divine experience, put some in your freezer until it is an icy slush!
This is really good, creamy, with a nice light lemon flavour but it is a lot of work. Blanching almonds is easy though. The whole almond with skin on only has to sit 3 minutes in boiling water (off the boil) and then the skin of each almond can easily be popped off using your fingers. I reduced the sugar a little I think, didn't use a measuring cup (never do) but I don't think I reduced it by half. I used sea salt & spring water plus the rest. I would make this again and like to try it with less almonds as it uses a lot and I think it would be just as creamy using somewhat less. Made for Veggie Swap 32 ~ March 2011.
I`m a freak when it comes to using the whole food and for ease of perpetration of recipes. So I skipped the removal of the skins, placed the almonds in my vita mixx the (dry Container) and blended till a powder added the remaining ingredients using lime in place of lemon. I did find this delish But next time I would 1/2 the sugar back by 1/2. I used this to make for Cherry Supreme Smoothie Shake. Healthy comforting drink for those that are lactose intolerant!! Thank you for the tasty goodness!