Recipe by Dib's
This is an Almond/Rice Cooler found in Mexico-one of many "aguas frescas." Sometimes cactus fruit juice is added to this to make it pink.
- 6 teaspoons rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups blanched almonds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 slices lime zest (2 inches each, no white stuff-and about 3/4 to 1 inch wide)
- 1 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree the rice and pour into a medium bowl.
- Add the almonds, cinnamon and lime.
- Stir in 2 1/4 cups hot tap water, cover and let stand overnight.
- Scoop the mixture into a blender or processor and whirl for 3-4 minute.
- Add 2 cups of cold water and pulse a few times.
- Place three to 4 layers of wet cheesecloth over another bowl and slowly pour mixture through.
- When done give the cheesecloth a slight twist to get out remaining fluid.
- Add another 2 cups cold water and enough sugar to sweeten to your taste.
- An option is to add white rum to this if you like.