Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Mexican sweet drink
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups skinless almonds
- 1 inch cinnamon bark
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Using a spice grinder (an electric coffee grinder works well too), grind the rice until fine; combine with the almonds and cinnamon bark.
- Add 3 1/2 cups water and let sit overnight, covered.
- Blend rice mixture until smooth using a blender.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water and continue blending.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract.
- Strain horchata into a bowl first using a metal strainer and then a double layer of cheesecloth; finish with up to an additional 2 cups of water until it achieves a milky consistency.
- Serve cold or over ice.
This was pretty easy and tasted very authentic. I made it for a Mexican themed party and it kept well in fridge until serving time. I served it with a cinnamon stick as a stirrer. Thanks for the recipee
Very tasty and authentic.