Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
We had this at our local Mexican restaurant but the waitress called it rice water. This recipe is from Simply Delicioso with Ingrid Hoffmann
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 quart warm water
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- whole cinnamon stick, for serving (optional)
- In a blender, combine the rice and warm water.
- Blend for 1 to 2 minutes until the rice breaks up but does not form a powder.
- Let the rice mixture stand in the refrigerator for 6 hours or up to overnight.
- Strain the rice mixture into a container through a fine-mesh sieve or several layers of cheesecloth to remove the rice solids.
- Pour the rice water into a blender and add the milk, vanilla and almond extracts, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Blend for 1 minute until well combined and smooth.
- Serve the horchata over ice with cinnamon sticks as stirrers.
This recipe is authentic and delicious. You can also cook the rice, mix everything together without putting it in the blender and pour it into popsicle trays, freeze overnight and enjoy the next day.
Yum! I am very glad I found this recipe. I'm gonna need to invest in some more pitchers so I can make this in bulk!