Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I don't know if this is Libyan or Tunisian, but its a delicious North African way of cooking fish. This is also great cold. I used to cook this a lot on Sundays and bring the leftovers to work on Monday. People's mouths would water when I heated it up in the microwave.
- 2 onions or 1 leek, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 354.88 ml fish stock or 354.88 ml water
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml crushed hot pepper
- 4 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 907.18 g thick fish fillets (haddock and cod are best.)
- 29.58 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat the olive oil and large pan or dutch oven. Add the onions or leek and garlic and saute until soft. (Leeks are excellent in this).
- Add stock or water, tomato paste, spices, and potatoes. Cook, covered, on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes being to be tender.
- Add fish and cook, covered, for about 15 more minutes, or until fish is done.
- Add cilantro and serve with bread, salad, lemon wedges.