Recipe by Julesong
At the Hopvine Pub in Seattle, I often order a custom pizza that has pesto, feta, mushrooms, and eggplant on it. (In fact, I've posted my version here as "Eggplant Mushroom Feta Pesto Pizza" - yum!) Recently, I asked them about the eggplant, because I'd noticed on the menu under another description that it said it was their own marinated recipe. A few minutes later, the waiter showed up at the table and handed me a ticket with ingredients on it! Not a recipe, exactly, as no amounts were shown, but here's what I've done with it (with a few tweaks). :) I use these marinated eggplant pieces in sandwiches and on pizza, but I'm sure you can find other uses for them as well. Delicious! Prep time includes chilling.
- 1 medium globe eggplants or 2 medium Japanese eggplants
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed before adding
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crushed before adding
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the peel of the eggplant. (If using Japanese eggplant, it's not necessary to remove the peel.).
- Slice the peeled eggplant thinly, about 1/8 inch thick, then make into smaller pieces (about 1"x2" strips).
- Combine remaining ingredients in a plastic airtight container.
- Add the eggplant pieces, cover, and shake well to coat.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place eggplant pieces on a non-stick baking sheet and roast for 7 minutes, then carefully turn them and roast another 7 minutes until tender.
- Keep the eggplant pieces refrigerated in an airtight container until you use them; they'll keep for up to 3 or 4 days.
- You can use the eggplant in various ways: put them in sandwiches, or (as I do) put the marinated eggplant pieces on your pizza along with the other veggies!
- Note: this marinade is also good for other roasted vegetables like asparagus; you can also grill the eggplant slices instead of roasting and use them as an appetizer (I use my Foreman grill), to make appetizers with them I usually use unpeeled Asian eggplant instead of the regular kind and slice them diagonally about 1/4-inch thick before grilling.