1/1 Photo of Hopping' John
Hopping John eaten on New Years Day is suppose to bring you good luck for the New year. My mother always made it, so I make it. Also eating cabbage on New Years Day is suppose to bring you lots of money. Well I am not sure about all that, but it has become our annual tradition at our house.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook until translucent.
- 3Add the black eyed peas, stirring to combine.
- 4Add 2 1/2 cups water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 5Add the rice. Bring back to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
- 6Simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand covered, for an additional 10 minutes.
- 7Uncover, taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- 8Add dashes of Tabasco and crumbled bacon on top.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hopping' John
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.1
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 1137.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 12.1 g