Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hopping John eaten on New Years Day is suppose to bring you good luck for the New year. My mother always made it, so I make it. Also eating cabbage on New Years Day is suppose to bring you lots of money. Well I am not sure about all that, but it has become our annual tradition at our house.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add the black eyed peas, stirring to combine.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice. Bring back to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand covered, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Uncover, taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Add dashes of Tabasco and crumbled bacon on top.