Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Quick recipe I came up with to use some black eyed peas. We thought it was quite tasty and it's healthy and diet friendly, too!
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 12 ounces smoked turkey sausage, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- While rice is cooking, sautee onion and garlic with cajun seasoning in olive oil.
- Add sausage and brown.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer.
- Add rice when done and stir to combine.
This was easy and very good. My hubby loved it. I substituted some chopped, leftover ham for the sausage, and used Rotel tomatoes instead of the regular tomatoes and hot sauce. Yummy!
This was GREAT! Easy and tasty! Being low in calories and high in fiber, what a wonderful way to start the New Year!
Loved the flavor in this. Really easy to make. I used brown basmati rice and just followed the rest of the recipe. I'll be making this again thank you.