Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes, and it is super quick and easy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb kielbasa (I use turkey kielbasa)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can navy beans, drained
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add keilbasa,peas, beans, rice, broth, and seasoning. Stir well to blend and heat. Mash beans slightly to help thicken soup. Serve when hot.
- This works well served with corn bread and a salad.
Easy and delicious! I did make it a little differently. I cooked the sausage first, draining off all the fat so it wouldn't go into the soup. Then I used that grease to cook the onions in. I drained both the sausages and onions on papertowels. Then I put everything in the pot as described (except I used minced garlic instead of garlic powder). This was a great meal for the first cool snap of the season. Thanks for posting! Made for TYM tag.
I made this last night. Super soup. I agree!!! It's Easy and Delicious. Great for the 33 degree weather we are having in Virginia..Thank you so much for posting this recipe.