Recipe by FLUFFSTER
This is a Southern favorite. It can be yours too! Great to serve on New Years Day for good luck. A crisp green salad and some fresh, out-of- the-oven cornbread, shared with your family and friends, and you've got a winner! Enjoy!
- 4 slices uncooked bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 -4 tablespoons frank's cayenne pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice (3/4 C. uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon, onion, and garlic in large saucepan over med. heat 5 min., or until vegetables are tender.
- Add peas with liquid, broth, 1/2 Cup water, pepper sauce, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, 15 min., stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Combine rice and parsley in med. bowl.
- Spoon rice evenly into 6 serving bowls.
- Ladle soup over rice.