Recipe by Porfavorcorona
A simple and favorite Southern summertime treat! Many believe that black-eyed peas, also called cowpeas, bring good luck when served on New Year's Day.
- 3 cups dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1⁄4 lb Canadian bacon, cooked, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 3 quarts water and black-eyed peas in large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover; reduce heat to medium-low, simmer 1 hour or until peas are tender.
- Rinse with cool water; drain.
- Cool peas.
- Combine peas, rice, bacon, onion and celery in large bowl.
- Combine vinegar, oil, garlic, hot sauce and salt in small bowl until well blended.
- Drizzle over pea mixture; toss to coat.
- Cover; refrigerate 2 hours.
- Garnish as desired.