3 hrs 30 mins
A simple and favorite Southern summertime treat! Many believe that black-eyed peas, also called cowpeas, bring good luck when served on New Year's Day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 lb Canadian bacon, cooked, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Place 3 quarts water and black-eyed peas in large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat.
- 2Cover; reduce heat to medium-low, simmer 1 hour or until peas are tender.
- 3Rinse with cool water; drain.
- 4Cool peas.
- 5Combine peas, rice, bacon, onion and celery in large bowl.
- 6Combine vinegar, oil, garlic, hot sauce and salt in small bowl until well blended.
- 7Drizzle over pea mixture; toss to coat.
- 8Cover; refrigerate 2 hours.
- 9Garnish as desired.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hoppin' John Salad
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 457.8
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 9.4 mg
- Sodium 500.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 25.9 g