Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Southern Living recipe for Hoppin' John Salad from November 2001. I can't believe that this wasn't already on the Zaar, it's delicious & one of my favorites for summertime. The 4 hours "cooking" time is the chilling time.
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed & drained
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- Dice first 4 ingredients. Combine with next 7 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine vinegars in a small bowl and whisk in the oil in a slow, steady stream. Blend well.
- Add vinegar mixture to bean mixture, tossing to coat.
- Cover and chill 4 hours.
- Before serving, stir in bacon.
- Optional: If desired, garnish with a small additional amount of fresh parsley.
This is very good. Great New Year`s dish. I used frozen peas, which of course had to be cooked. Peas take quite a time to cook.