2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
MadCity Dale's Note:
Served on the 5th Friday of November at The River Pantry for 300 folks. Below quanity X 3! Later served, December 9th at the 3rd monthly Community SUNDAY SUPPER at Warner Park Community Recreation Center WPCRC. Adapted from the original receipe #249709 by "Seasoned Cook" of NC.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 17 lbs cooked chicken
- 2 (105 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced
- 1.5 (105 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 17 medium onions, chopped
- 1.5 (105 ounce) cans celery, chopped
- 9 cups white rice, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 4 gallons turkey stock or 4 gallons water
- 2 (105 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1Cook chicken, brown, drain and shred.
- 2Place chicken in a large saucepan along with all other ingredients EXCEPT black-eyed peas.
- 3Bring to a boil and let simmer about 25 minutes until rice is done.
- 4Add drained black eye peas and cook 15 more minutes.
- 5Serve with your favorite cornbread. Warmed leftovers are delicious!
- 6105 ounce cans=#10 can; 16 cups=1 gallon: 16 ounces=1 pound.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hoppin' John for 100
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 100
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.9
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 57.8 mg
- Sodium 721.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 24.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: