A variation on a recipe from the good folks at Goya. I make it with both of the suggested meats -- sausage AND bacon (Goya's calls for kielbasa, but I think smoked sausage or andouille works better). The two together are spectacular. I also add a jalapeño for a little extra flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1/4 lb andouille sausage, sliced (or other smoked sausage)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet sazon goya (don't use the version with annatto)
- cayenne pepper sauce, to taste (I like a lot!)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1In a large saucepan, cook the bacon and sausage.
- 2Drain most of the fat, laving about a tablespoon or so, and add the onion, green pepper, jalapeño, and celery. Cook until tender, stirring frequently.
- 3Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 10 minutes, until thoroughly heated, then serve over white rice (some collard greens on the side is an excellent complement, too!).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hoppin' John
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.9
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 31.5 mg
- Sodium 869.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 13.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: