Prep 30 mins
Cook 16 hrs
Simple, and flavorful. Good for any time of year, not just New Year's Day! This is not a large recipe. mostly because I am usually the one to eat most of this. The kids will eat a little, but I usually have to make something else for my picky husband!
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 ham hock
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 3 green onions, chopped with greens
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 leaf green chard leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Rinse and sort peas. Soak in 3 cups of water overnight. Strain and rinse in the morning. Place in crock pot along with the rest of the ingredients.
- If you are in a hurry, cook on high for 3 hours. Or you can cook for 6-8 on Low.
- Take out the ham hock, and cut away the meat, discarding the fatty parts, and the bone. Replace meat into crock pot. Stir.
This is a great recipe! It was so good, I was tempted to lick the bowl! Perfect amount since I'm the only one in this household who likes Hoppin' John. I cooked it on high for three hours and served it over rice. Wonderful!!!