Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Simple, no soaking beans overnight, and doesn't take much time or attention.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup salt pork, coarsely cubed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken stock (if you want it soupier, increase the stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne (Go easy on the salt, the salt pork seasons for you.)
- 1⁄2 cup of uncooked instant rice (I went really easy on the rice, you may prefer a cup.)
- Heat oil and butter in dutch oven.
- Sear salt pork on all sides for four minutes.
- Add the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic and saute for another four to five minutes.
- Add the peas, half the stock, and all seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and simmer with the lid off for thirty to forty minutes, or until reduced to 1/4 cup of liquid.
- Add remaining cup of stock and return to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and simmer for another ten minutes.
- Add Minute Rice, stir and let sit covered until rice becomes the texture you like.
- Serve with hot sauce and some soppin' bread.