Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adopted 7/28 Make at your own risk until I work with it. It might be like the wonderful potatoes. Fantastic or .. not. If you make it please give feedback and tell me what you liked and what you did so I can use this to improve the recipe if needed. Limpin Susan's date.
- 3⁄4 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 small onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery, mostly leaves
- 2 3⁄4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup converted long grain rice (white)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Take Control Light spread
- Cover peas with boiling water and let rest for one hour. Pour water off and rinse and drain.
- Combine onion, celery with 1/2 cup of the stock in a 2 1/2 quart sauce pan. Cover and cook over medium high heat until tender, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the peas and remaining stock, cover and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cook peas until tender, about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, salt, cumin and hot pepper sauce. Cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Toss with spread, parsley and serve!