1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I really call this dish Hoppin' Dominic because he was my recipe source.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place black-eyed peas with 8 cups of water in a saucepan over high heat.
- 2Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered for 45 minutes or until peas are tender but not mushy.
- 3Cut the salt pork into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 4Place in a skillet over medium high heat and fry until crisp.
- 5Remove to a paper towel and drain.
- 6Set aside.
- 7Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of pork fat from skillet.
- 8Add onions and saute over medium heat, stirring frequently, until just soft.
- 9Set aside.
- 10When beans are done, ladle out all but 2 1/2 cups cooking water.
- 11Add rice, bacon, onions, thyme, red pepper flakes and salt& pepper to beans.
- 12Stir to combine.
- 13Return to high heat and bring to a boil.
- 14Immediately lower heat and cover.
- 15Cook for 20 minutes or until rice is done and liquid is absorbed.
- 16Turn off heat and let sit, covered, for 15 minutes.
- 17Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hoppin' John
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.4
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 48.8 mg
- Sodium 1049.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 9.1 g