Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I really call this dish Hoppin' Dominic because he was my recipe source.
Make and share this Hoppin' John recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 lb salt pork
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place black-eyed peas with 8 cups of water in a saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered for 45 minutes or until peas are tender but not mushy.
- Cut the salt pork into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place in a skillet over medium high heat and fry until crisp.
- Remove to a paper towel and drain.
- Set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of pork fat from skillet.
- Add onions and saute over medium heat, stirring frequently, until just soft.
- Set aside.
- When beans are done, ladle out all but 2 1/2 cups cooking water.
- Add rice, bacon, onions, thyme, red pepper flakes and salt& pepper to beans.
- Stir to combine.
- Return to high heat and bring to a boil.
- Immediately lower heat and cover.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until rice is done and liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off heat and let sit, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.