Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Got this recipe from an anthropologist friend in Arizona, and given the use of canned product, it is said to date to the 1920s to early 30s. Spicy and hearty! Serve with hot tortillas. This is my recipe that I've moved from allrecipes.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 6 potatoes, diced
- 1 lb carrot, diced
- 3 cups white hominy
- 3 (8 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, with liquid chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, with juice chopped
- 2 -3 jalapenos
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook ground beef until evenly brown.
- Stir in onions, and saute until soft and translucent.
- Season with chili powder, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, hominy, tomatoes, chilies and jalapenos.
- Pour in beef broth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours, or until potatoes and carrots are tender.