Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Easiest, freshest and tastiest salsa ever!
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
I made this as an ingredient for Tom's Salsa Ranch Chicken Sandwiches #171623 because I didn't have any bottled salsa ranch dressing around, nor did I have any bottled tomato salsa. I cut it to 6 servings, so I used one 10oz can of diced Ro-tel Mexican Festival tomatoes, 1 seeded serrano pepper, 1/4 of a large onion, and a handful of cilantro. I also added one packet of True Lime, and some extra salt. I pulsed this in my Magic Bullet for convenience (normally I would leave my salsa a bit more chunky than the Magic Bullet can provide), so it came out more of a chunky puree than an actual chunky salsa, but it worked fine for my purpose. Pretty spicy by itself, so it lent a nice kick to the salsa ranch dressing. I mixed a quarter cup or so of salsa with about 1/2 cup of freshly made ranch dressing -- delicious! I think I would have considered foregoing the chicken sandwich and just taken a spoon to the salsa ranch if I didn't know any better lol! I didn't have any problem with this being watery or thin, either. This will definitely be one of my go-to basic tomato salsa recipes from now on, because this easily trumps storebought jarred salsa anyday! Thanks for posting!
- 1 quart canned tomato, undrained
- 1 medium onion, any color
- 2 -4 jalapenos, to taste
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, helps to preserve it too
Directions See How It's Made
- Gather cilantro like a flower bouquet with stems in your hand and leaves at the top.
- Just below where leaves begin cut stems off and discard or save for another use.
- Carefully cut jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove seeds for a less spicy salsa. Leave in if you like it spicier. (Note: if you are not a Texan- or even if you are- you may want to wear gloves to keep the hot juice off your hands. DO NOT touch your eyes or nose in the next few hours. IT BURNS!).
- Put everything in blender and pulse until desired consistency.
- Refrigerate and served chilled or eat at room temperature.
- Great on chips and just about everything else!
- Keeps for about a month in refrigerator.