Recipe by Jakey Bakey
This is one of my favorite comfort foods, a carb-lover's dream. And it's an easy way for me to sneak vegetables into my diet! I call it almost homemade because I use a lot of ready-made items in this recipe; the easier, the better! I never measure anything when I make this so I'm estimating amounts; please follow your own tastes as you're cooking.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup steak sauce (A1 or something similar)
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion in the oil in a frying pan.
- Add the ground beef and brown.
- While the beef is cooking, peel and cut up the potatoes. Throw them into a pot of water to boil.
- Drain off most of the fat from the beef.
- Add the steak sauce and worchestershire sauce to the beef. Doctor this more or less according to your taste.
- Add the frozen vegetables to the beef. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the mushroom soup until everything is coated with the "gravy" (it's supposed to be thick but add some milk if it seems too thick to you).
- Put the meat/veggie mix into a casserole dish.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and add the butter and milk. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top the beef mixture with the mashed potatoes and put into a 350 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.