A great name for a great dish, this Pennsylvania Dutch breakfast is a bit quirky, really filling, and super simple. Top it with a drizzle of maple syrup or some cinnamon sugar, and you’re sure to agree that it’s tasty no matter what you call it. This recipe was featured as part of our Cold-Weather Comfort Food Menu on Chow.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whisk eggs, milk, and salt in a medium bowl until smooth; set aside.
- 2Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When butter foams, add bread and fry, stirring frequently, until golden brown and toasted on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3Remove the pan from heat and pour egg mixture over bread. Stir until bread is coated, then return the pan to medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until egg is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- 4Serve immediately with cinnamon sugar or maple syrup.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hootsla (Egg Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.1
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 184.5 mg
- Sodium 629.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 10.7 g