Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
A frugal Pennsylvania Dutch recipe. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947.
- 10 slices of day-old bread
- 3 eggs, beaten until light
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter (bacon grease is tasty) or 1⁄3 cup other fat (bacon grease is tasty)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the butter or fat in a skillet.
- Cut the bread into cubes and brown in melted butter or fat.
- Beat eggs and milk together; add salt and pepper.
- Pour over bread and fry until brown.
- Serve while hot.
Sprinkled some parmesan cheese on both sides and browned. WOW, we love it! Thank you!
I am giving this five stars because my husband really liked this. It is like something his Mom made for him when he was a boy. It is very quick and easy to prepare. I used bacon grease to cook it in and only 5 slices of bread. Thanks Molly53. Bullwinkle