Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is modified to be gluten free from Hooters Buffalo Wings which was from Top Secret Recipes http://www.topsecretrecipes.com. Even though the modification is very small, I had to post it so those of you who have to eat gluten free would be able to enjoy this as well!
- 20 chicken wings (frozen are fine)
- vegetable oil, for frying in deep fryer
- 1⁄3 cup garbonzo bean flour (I also mix garfava & sorghum)
- 1⁄3 cup tapioca flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup louisiana hot sauce (Texas Pete is GF)
- 1 dash pepper, Ground
- 1 dash garlic powder
- bleu cheese salad dressing (Kraft is GF)
- 90 MINS BEFORE GAME TIME:.
- Combine the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt in a large bowl using a wire wisk to blend the flours well.
- If the wings are frozen, defrost and dry them very well with paper towels.
- Toss the wings with the flour mixture, coating each wing evenly.
- Put the wings in the refrigerator for 60 to 90 minutes. (This will help the breading to stick to the wings when fried.)
- 30 MINS BEFORE GAME TIME:.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- Put as many wings into the hot oil as will fit comfortably so they are still covered entirely by the oil.
- Fry for 10 to 15 minutes or until some parts of the wings begin to turn dark brown. (10 mins works for me).
- Remove the wings from the oil to a paper towel to drain (just don't let them sit too long, because you want to serve the wings hot).
- Repeat the frying process as needed until all wings are cooked.
- While the wings are frying, melt butter in a small sauce pan and stir in hot sauce, ground pepper, and garlic powder. Simmer over very low heat just enough to keep warm until ready to use.
- When wings are done put them in a large serving bowl and pour the warm sauce over them, coating evenly (if it has a lid you can cover and shake).
- Serve with a small bowl of Bleu cheese dressing and celery sticks.