1/2 Photos of Hoosier Pork-Tenderloin Sandwich
Crafty Lady 13's Note:
This pork sandwich comes breaded, fried and way oversized. Buttermilk is the secret ingredient in the Indiana pork-tenderloin sandwich. Up to a half pound of meat is pounded thin, marinated in buttermilk, breaded with cracker crumbs, fried and served, despite its size on a regular hamburger bun. At some restaurants, the pork is a foot in diameter! Try this recipe from the Food Network Kitchens. Note: Time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g center-cut boneless pork loin
- 2 large eggs
- 473.18 ml buttermilk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 2 sleeves saltines (about 80 crackers)
- 473.18 ml instant flour (such as Wondra)
- peanut oil, for frying
- 4 soft hamburger buns, split
- 78.07 ml mayonnaise
- 44.37 ml yellow mustard
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 half-sour dill pickles, thinly sliced
- 1Cut the pork crosswise into 4 equal pieces. Put each piece flat on a cutting board and slice horizontally almost in half (stop about 1 inch from the other side). Open like a book. Sprinkle each with water, place between 2 pieces of heavy-duty plastic wrap and pound to 1/4 inch thick with a mallet or heavy skillet.
- 2Whisk the eggs, buttermilk, garlic, 1 teaspoon each salt and black pepper, and the cayenne in a shallow bowl. Add the pork, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 3Pulse the crackers into coarse crumbs in a food processor, then transfer to a shallow dish. Put the flour in another dish. Remove each piece of pork from the marinade, letting the excess drip off. Dredge both sides in the flour, dip in the buttermilk marinade again, then coat with the cracker crumbs.
- 4Heat 1/4 to 1/2 inch peanut oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360°F Fry the pork in batches until golden and cooked through about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- 5Spread both halves of each bun with mayonnaise and mustard. Layer the lettuce, tomatoes and onion on the bottom halves. Add a piece of pork and a few pickle slices. Cover with bun tops.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hoosier Pork-Tenderloin Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (2690 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 785.8
- Calories from Fat 371
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 245.8 mg
- Sodium 1346.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 58.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: