Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A recipe I came across while visiting the Indiana State Fair.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 cups oatmeal, raw
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, minced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 (16 ounce) canred gold stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons whiskey, Jack Daniels
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Combine beef, pork, oats, onion and green pepper in a large bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add beef granules, pepper, allspice and thyme to beaten eggs. Beat until well mixed.
- Pour into meat mixture and blend with hands until thoroughly mixed.
- Place into loaf pan, shape and bake in oven at 350°F for 1 1/2 hours.
- For the sauce, pour stock from meatloaf pan into a small saucepan.
- Add onion, and cook until tender, for about 5 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes, Jack Daniels and nutmeg.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Serve over warm slices.
The meatloaf turned out very moist and tasty. Left out the green pepper, since I don't care for it and vice-versa :) I think I would leave the nutmeg out of the sauce next time, though. The JD and the tomatoes worked, but didn't care for the nutmeg flavor.
Had to stick with another Hoosier cook here and give this meatloaf a try. This was a winning recipe for us because DH loves sauce on his meatloaf and I could use all ground round instead of half ground pork. Liked using the oatmeal to bind everything together. Was good the next day for sandwiches with yellow mustard! Made and reviewed for Pick A Chef - Fall 2012.
I scaled this back to 3-4 serve and used minced ground beef (minced ground pork does not agree with me) and I also used a lean minced beef so had very little juices for the sauce so added some evo to saute off the onions (thinly sliced) and a 3/4 of a 400g tin of diced tomatoes and made as per recipe. The capsicum/bell pepper in the loaf was a little overpowering so would cut back on that but otherwise an enjoyable meatloaf that the 85 year old birthday girl enjoyed as per her request. Thank you weekend cooker, made for Please Review My Recipe.