Recipe by JustJan
This recipe has been in my assorted catch-all recipe "box" for years. I was looking for an old recipe last weekend and ran across it. Sounds delicious to me. I'm saving it here so that I don't lose it, as I just spent about 2 hours searching my recipe sites and my old Taste of Home magazines knowing I had just read it somewhere!
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons honey, warmed
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- 8 tart apples, pared, cored, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into tiny pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash allspice
- 1 dash nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix melted butter, brown sugar, heated honey and chopped pecans, and spread in the bottom of a deep dish pie plate.
- Place one pie crust over mixture, and smooth up along sides of pie plate.
- Spread sliced apples over pie crust and season with sugar, butter pieces, lemon juice, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.
- Cover apple mixture with top crust.
- Crimp edges of top and bottom crusts, and prick to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes; then reduce heat to 325 degrees and continue to bake for 1/2 hour more or until apples are tender and crust has turned flaky and golden brown.
- Let pie cool for 15 to 20 minutes, then invert onto pie platter and serve with pecan-caramel side facing up.
- Note: If you make this pie in advance, leave it in pie pan until 20 minutes before serving, then pop in a 325 degree oven for 5-10 minutes to let pecan-caramel glaze soften before inverting pie.