Recipe by Soup Fly *
I may live in Virginia now, but I'm still a Hoosier at heart! My mom found this recipe on familytime.com, but it was originally published in Nestle Very Best Baking. There is a cookie-like crust with a fluffy sweet top layer.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) package NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 3⁄4 cup peanuts (honey roasted work best)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Mix flour and baking soda together.
- Beat 1/2 cup brown sugar, sugar and butter in a separate mixing bowl until creamy.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla extract to creamed mixture.
- Gradually mix in flour mixture until crumbly.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups chocolate morsels and 1/2 cup peanuts.
- Press dough onto bottom of greased 13 x 9 inch pan (I put cling wrap over the dough and then just press with my hands- it just works better than any other technique I've found so far and this way my hands, though clean, aren't all over the food!).
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in remaining brown sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Spread egg& sugar mixture over dough.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup chocolate morsels and remaining 1/4 cup peanuts.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for approximately 20 minutes.
- Cut into bars while still warm- the BEST time to eat these!