Recipe by RoxiGirl
This recipe was given to me by some dear friends. I'm not sure where they got it from but the story behind the dish as described to me: In Italy, women of the night would prepare this dish for their customers late in the evening. It could be made quickly from things that would be on hand in a normal Italian kitchen. The women could keep their operation going easily.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces black olives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 large fresh tomato, pealed and chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Place olive oil in frying pan and add the minced garlic. When garlic is browned a bit, add olives, capers, tomato and anchovy filets. Stir well and cook for about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta until al dente and drain.
- Place the pasta in a bowl, add half the tomato/anchovy sauce and toss well. Add the remaining sauce on top and sprinkle the parsley, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes. Serve hot.
- It can also be eaten later, cold. You may want to adjust the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to your own taste. This is great with salad and garlic bread! Enjoy!
- The time to prepare and cook is an estimate.