Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
An award-winning, over-the-top grilled cheese that'll make people flock to your feet begging for mercy. Hold on... I have to get the door. Sheesh, they won't leave me alone!
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 cup emmenthaler cheese, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons cherry brandy
- 1⁄4 cup white wine, plus
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 8 slices sourdough bread, 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 small whole garlic clove
- Combine and mix the four cheeses with the brandy and white wine in a large bowl. Brush olive oil on one side of each bread slice and turn over. Spoon cheese mixture evenly on 4 of the 8 bread slices. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, oiled side up.
- Heat a large Teflon coated non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Put the sandwiches in the skillet (in batches if necessary) and cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt. Uncover, and turn the sandwiches with a spatula. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Turn once more and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from pan and let cool for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut sandwiches in half, rub the garlic clove over the top of each sandwich and serve.
HOLY CHEESE, honk loud for this one! Garlic, cheese and wine could it get any better than this??? This is like a cheese fondue on bread...You HAVE to be a serious cheese lover for these sandwiches... although I made this using only fontina, mozza and gruyere man-oh-man what a serious cobo of cheesey flavors going on here! Didn't use the cherry brandy I didn't have any, I was going to sub with maraschino cherry juice, but decided not to, and mabey that was a good thing?? DH had a napkin in one hand and a sandwich in the other ROFL!! if you are a serious cheese lover then give this a try it's delicious ...5 honks plus for this one Sandi!!! great recipe thanks, Kitten:)