Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
An award-winning, over-the-top grilled cheese that'll make people flock to your feet begging for mercy. Hold on... I have to get the door. Sheesh, they won't leave me alone!
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
HOLY CHEESE, honk loud for this one! Garlic, cheese and wine could it get any better than this??? This is like a cheese fondue on bread...You HAVE to be a serious cheese lover for these sandwiches... although I made this using only fontina, mozza and gruyere man-oh-man what a serious cobo of cheesey flavors going on here! Didn't use the cherry brandy I didn't have any, I was going to sub with maraschino cherry juice, but decided not to, and mabey that was a good thing?? DH had a napkin in one hand and a sandwich in the other ROFL!! if you are a serious cheese lover then give this a try it's delicious ...5 honks plus for this one Sandi!!! great recipe thanks, Kitten:)
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 cup emmenthaler cheese, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons cherry brandy
- 1⁄4 cup white wine, plus
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 8 slices sourdough bread, 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 small whole garlic clove
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine and mix the four cheeses with the brandy and white wine in a large bowl. Brush olive oil on one side of each bread slice and turn over. Spoon cheese mixture evenly on 4 of the 8 bread slices. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, oiled side up.
- Heat a large Teflon coated non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Put the sandwiches in the skillet (in batches if necessary) and cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt. Uncover, and turn the sandwiches with a spatula. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Turn once more and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from pan and let cool for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut sandwiches in half, rub the garlic clove over the top of each sandwich and serve.