Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
This recipe is a copycat of Taipei, Taiwan's Yong Kang Beef Noodle Shop's best selling noodle soup.
- 8 lbs beef shanks, cut crosswise into 2 inch thick bone-in pieces
- 1⁄4 cup chinese rice wine
- 3 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 14 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 8 whole star anise pods
- 4 yellow onions, quartered
- 2 dried arbol chiles
- 1 piece ginger, chopped (4 inches)
- 3 tablespoons chinese black vinegar
- dark soy sauce, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
- sugar, to taste
- 12 baby bok choy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs thin egg noodles
- pickled chinese greens, chopped (garnish)
- Put beef in a pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Drain beef and transfer to a clean pot with wine, peppercorns, garlic, tomatoes, star anise, onions, chiles, and ginger.
- Add water to cover ingredients by 1/2 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 1 hour. Transfer beef to a cutting board. Skim fat, strain and reserve broth, Discard solids.
- Add vinegar and season with soy sauce, salt, and sugar. Pull beef from bones, cut into large chunks and add to broth.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add bok choy and cook until just tender (2 minutes). Transfer bok choy to bowls. Boil noodles until softened then drain.
- Divide broth, beef and noodles among bowls. Garnish with greens.