Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Red Cooked Eggplant from Florence Lin. The eggplant should be about a pound and a half.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 2 -3 inches gingerroot, crushed
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons Chinese bean garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Wash, destem eggplant but do not peel.
- Cut into 3 X 1 X 1 inch slices and set aside.
- Heat wok until very hot.
- Add oil and heat until very hot then add eggplant slices.
- Stir and turn slices until very soft about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Note the eggplant will absorb most of the oil at the start. As they wilt the oil will be released.
- Pour into strainer over pot to drain the oil [you can save the oil for more cooking].
- Return to wok and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine gently and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- During this gently turn eggplant with spatula.
- Serve piping hot. You can reheat on stove or in oven.