I have no idea where the name came from but it's been in my family forever - my dad remembers my Grandma making this for him when he was a kid as a special "treat" supper! I've included the sauce recipe for the buns too - it just isn't the same without it!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (14 ounce) can bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cheese slices or 5 slices cheddar cheese
- 5 kaiser rolls, unsliced
- lettuce (optional)
- tomato, slices (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce (we use Heinz)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- Combine burger ingredients until just combined.
- Shape into 10 patties.
- Grill for about 4 minutes, flip, and grill 4 minutes longer (depending on your grill and how fast the burgers cook).
- Just before the burgers are done, put a cheese slice on 5 patties until melted and remove from grill.
- Combine the chili sauce and the mayo to make the sauce.
- Cut each hamburger bun into 3 slices (think of a Big Mac bun).
- Place a plain patty on the bottom with some sauce, then the middle of the bun, then a cheese patty, a slice of tomato, some lettuce, put some sauce on the top bun, and put'er on top.
- Serve with lots of napkins!