Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a great all in one skillet dinner. My best friend prepared this for me on the first day home from her honeymoon. It was the first time I ate dinner with them after they married. I eat it with fond memories all the time. It is a regular in our home. Even if you dont like sauerkraut, you will like this meal
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 2 (4 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- Take a dutch oven or large skillet, must have lid. Melt butter in bottom on med heat. Add sauerkraut and spread to cover, add chopped onion on top of this layer, then sprinkle the rice on top of this, crumble raw hamburger over the top of this, salt and pepper. Then according to your taste pour 2 to 3 cans of tomato sauce over this. Important.do not stir. Cover with lid.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to nice slow simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes. Make sure it is simmering slow enough not to burn the bottom.
- Dinner is done, serve with hot rolls and salad.
- This is great food!
- Mary Lou from Iowa.