Recipe by Rita~
No Pectin jam. This can be spread on you favorite bread/ toast! It is a thinner jam which makes it great to glaze a chicken, duck, pork roast at the end of cooking. Or to serve as a condiment with the choice of roasted or grilled meats. Top a slice of cheese cake or scoop of ice cream with some for an elegant dessert.
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 lbs fresh figs, 8 cups washed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup sweet red wine (I used home made with Marechal, Alcante, Seyval, Ravat grapes. 8/26/12 I used a tawny port)
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of or 1⁄2 cup bottled lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a coffee grinder place 1 tablespoon sugar and lavender, and process to make the lavender into fine bits. The sugar will become somewhat powdered.
- Place into a large heavy bottom pot.
- Place the figs and remaining sugar, into the processor and pulse 5 to 6 times just to a coarse chop: add to large pot with honey, wine, lemon juice and zest.
- Heating to a slow boil then raise heat to a fast rolling boil for 15 minutes stirring most the time. At this point you`ll see the juice turn vibrant red.
- Spoon into sterilized jars.
- Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.