Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
A bar cookie recipe I have had for ages that sounds so yummy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 8 ounces pitted dates, snipped into tiny pieces
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup honey
Cream Cheese Topping
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt onto wax paper. Combine walnuts, dates and ginger in a bowl and coat with 2 tbsp of the flour mixture.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl until frothy; stir in honey. Stir in flour mixture, just until well blended. Fold in date/nut mixture. Pour into a well-greased 13 x 9 pan.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed with a fingertip. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and allow to mellow overnight.
- To make topping, beat cream cheese together with 2 tbsp honey. Spread over top of bars. Sprinkle with the 1/3 cup walnuts. Cut into 28 pieces or as desired.