Recipe by Papa D 1946-2012
Posted for ZWT6 Asia region. From Bento.com recipes.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
This was absolutely delicious! I made a couple deviations in this recipe, but neither of them would have changed it's end result. I sliced my chicken into strips, as I was feeding a crowd, and I fresh ginger and my ginger "pancake" syrup instead of the bottled ginger. I had intended to make rice, to serve as a bed for this dish, until I realized I only had about a Tablespoon of rice left in the bag. Unfazed, DH wrapped his chicken in a flour tortilla and everyone else just ate it as is. Another one going into our Best of 2012 cookbook! Thanks for sharing this recipe, Papa! Made & enjoyed for the June 2012 Cookathon in your memory.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 chicken breasts, boned
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 2 ounces baby corn cobs, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 8 fluid ounces chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 pieces bottled gingerroot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons syrup from bottled ginger
- 2 tablespoons garlic wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan or wok until the butter has melted.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Add the garlic and leeks and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Stir in the red pepper, baby corn, sugar, honey, stock, soy sauce, stem ginger, ginger syrup and vinegar. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked well through, about 20 minutes.
- Blend the cornstarch with 4 tablespoons of cold water and stir into the pan. Bring to the boil and cook until the sauce is thickened and clear.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes and serve.