Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A honey-sweetened apple and carrot puree is cooked down to a luscious, caramel-like spread before being laced with ground walnuts. Whether on your morning bagel or piped onto cookies or into phyllo shells for dessert, it's a winner!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine apples, carrots, honey and apple juice in a covered casserole.
- Roast for 2 1/2 hours, until carrots are very soft.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree (or pass through a food mill). Return to the casserole dish.
- Re-cover and bake another 1 1/2 hours, then remove the lid and bake a further 30-40 minutes, until dark brown and very thick.
- Stir in the nutmeg and walnuts.
- Cool completely, then store in the fridge up to 2 weeks.