Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
We are trying to eat healthier as far as getting some things like bulgar and wheat germ in our diets. These may not be low calorie but it is a way to get these extra grains into your diet!
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon honey crunch wheat germ (or more to your tastes)
- Mix all ingredients except baking powder and wheat germ, just until batter is smooth.
- Gently fold in baking powder with a spatula.
- Spoon batter onto griddle or Belgium waffler.
- Sprinkle honey crunch wheat germ lightly on top of each pancake or waffle before closing waffle iron.
- Cook until lightly browned around edges.
- Top with desired toppings- butter, syrup, powdered sugar, whipped cream or ?.
- Makes 8 pancakes / 3 large waffles.
Great waffles! we really liked these, and they made a great hardy breakfast. we enjoyed them with homemade pear butter and they were delicious!
THESE ROCKED!! Very satisfying, good texture and the family highly approved..."you can make these again!" I doubled the recipe and it made 10 waffles 4.5 x 4" waffles (Krups waffle maker) I always make extra to freeze or pop in the toaster for breakfast during the week. I used plain wheat germ and about 3-4 tsps for the double batch.