Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
For me, sorbet and granitas are so much easier because I don't have to drag out the ice cream maker, go buy ice and rock salt, and it's always more nutritious. This one is made with Splenda, so it's diabetic friendly.
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute, plus more
- Splenda sugar substitute, if necessary
- 2 tablespoons lime zest (green part only)
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice, plus more
- lime juice, if necessary
- 4 1⁄2 cups diced honeydew melon (about 1/2 in.)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mash 1/3 cup Splenda and lime peel with a spoon to release oils.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir 1/2 cup lime juice into lime mixture.
- Pour mixture through a fine strainer into a blender or food processor; discard lime peel.
- Add melon, a portion at a time, and whirl until smooth.
- Return puree to bowl. Taste, and if desired, add more Splenda and lime juice.
- Nest bowl in ice and stir often until mixture is cold, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the bowl in the freezer and allow to freeze until solid.
- With a mixer, beat the mixture until creamy and return to the freezer. Freeze until solid.