Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
makes a delicious dessert. can replace diced honeydew with watermelon or mango.
- 30 g soaked and drained sago
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 50 g sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 300 ml water
- 200 g diced honeydew melon
- Boil coconut milk, sugar and salt gently. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Chill the mixture when it is cool.
- Boil water and sago. Stirring constantly, cook until the sago becomes transparent.
- Put the sago in a strainer and rinse it under running water.
- Spoon the sago into the coconut milk mixture. Put back to chill in the refrigerator.
- Add in the diced honeydew just before serving.
This was my first time making or eating anything with sago. I wasn't sure if I could like crisp honeydew in a creamy dessert, but in fact it was delicious. Based on a note on Easy-to-Prepare Honeydew Sago Pudding, I also tried pureeing some honeydew and stirring that in, and that was also delicious and a bit lighter. The main problem I had with this recipe was that it didn't give times for some of the steps, or descriptions of what the result should look like - I needed really specific information due to my inexperience. I didn't know how long to boil the coconut and sugar, so I cooked some of the water out - but then it was really intensely coconutty, so perhaps I cooked it too long. And my package of sago said to boil it for 15 minutes, soak overnight, and then boil again, so I boiled and soaked before proceeding with the recipe.