1 hr 15 mins
From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden. *If using semolina you will need more liquid.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir together the flour and yeast in a mixing bowl.
- 2Add the egg, then slowly pour in the water while stirring. Then beat until a smooth batter is achieved, the consistency of heavy cream. Set aside for 1 hour.
- 3Oil a griddle or heavy frying pan and heat over a medium heat.
- 4Pour about 3 tbsp of batter into the pan, rotating the pan so the batter flows evenly over the surface. Cook until bubbles appear and burst on the surface and the underside is light golden brown.
- 5Serve immediately or transfer to a large plate and keep warm while frying the remaining batter. *A heat proof plate atop a pot of simmering water should work well.
- 6Arrange the crepes in an overlapping circle around the plate, rather than stacking them as this makes them tough.
- 7Serve warm with melted butter, and warm honey flavored with orange-flower water, trickled over.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honeycomb Yeast Crepes (Beghrir)
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.1
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 23.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 15.6 g