Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden. *If using semolina you will need more liquid.
Make and share this Honeycomb Yeast Crepes (Beghrir) recipe from Food.com.
- Stir together the flour and yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, then slowly pour in the water while stirring. Then beat until a smooth batter is achieved, the consistency of heavy cream. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Oil a griddle or heavy frying pan and heat over a medium heat.
- Pour about 3 tbsp of batter into the pan, rotating the pan so the batter flows evenly over the surface. Cook until bubbles appear and burst on the surface and the underside is light golden brown.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a large plate and keep warm while frying the remaining batter. *A heat proof plate atop a pot of simmering water should work well.
- Arrange the crepes in an overlapping circle around the plate, rather than stacking them as this makes them tough.
- Serve warm with melted butter, and warm honey flavored with orange-flower water, trickled over.