Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This bread is light, fluffy, very sliceable and keeps a long time, honey is a natural perservative. This bread is also 100% Whole Wheat, but by taste you would never guess it. This can be done in your bread machine just cut the recipe in half, will make a 1 1/2-2lb loaf. Time does not include rising time.
- 6 cups whole wheat flour (I use home ground White Wheat)
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast or 1 tablespoon bread machine yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup gluten (this gives the nice rise)
- 1⁄2 cup oil (Canola for better health)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups warm water (Vary's do to weather)
- If using Kitchenaid mixer, add Whole Wheat, yeast, salt, and gluten, mix with spoon.
- Then add oil and honey, turn to speed two and slowly add water until ball forms.
- Once ball cleans sides of bowl, turn mixer off and pinch dough, too stiff add a bit more water, to wet add 1T flour at a time.
- If new to bread making this takes practice, your dough should feel like a new ball of play-doe, but warm.
- Once your dough ball is right, knead for 5-6 minutes in you KA mixer.
- Don't skimp on this, it gives the bread a nice tight crumb texture.
- If using bread machine add ingredients in opposite order (using least amount of water first, then add if nedded) but, add yeast last.
- Set to dough cycle and remove after kneading or it will over flow your bread pan during rise time.
- Once kneaded, turn into a 4 quart greased bowl, cover loosely with saran wrap and allow to double in a warm, draft free place, 1-2 hours approximately.
- Turn out onto counter, cut in half, roll each half out and shape, place into lightly greased 8x4 pan or 9x5 pan works in both.
- Cover loosely again with saran wrap and allow to ALMOST double, 30 mins to 1 hour.
- Place into 350 degree preheated oven.
- I use non-stick metal @ 350 for 30 minutes, until the top crust is browned.
- If top browns too quickly, cover with a sheet of aluminium foil to help avoid over browning and move bread down one rack in oven next time.
- Remove from pans immediately after cooking onto a cooling rack.
- Rub tops of loaves with a stick of butter for a real treat!
This is the best recipe for whole wheat bread that I have found. I stopped trying out other recipes once I made this one. It comes out perfect every time. I cut the recipe in half and make it in my bread machine. Works well with all types of whole wheat flour (red, white and kamut). My family stands around the bread machine waiting for it to finish.
I didn't have good results with this one, maybe because I cut it in half? Good taste, bad consistency for me.
I can't give this bread enough stars. I couldn't have mistreated my dough any more if I had tried. I let it complete the dough cycle in my bread machine. I then had to rush out so I just threw some oiled cling film on top of it in the macine pan and tossed it in the frig. where it stayed all night. This morning I took it out, formed one large loaf, let it rise once again and popped it in the oven. IT WAS WONDERFUL! I made half the recipe and it turned out so tender and the crust was out of this world. Big hit and a real keeper! Thanks so much for sharing. CarolV Update Jan.22 I've been making this bread at least once a week and it just keeps getting better. Made sub rolls, buns hotdog/burger and loaves (formed and free form) all of them came out perfect. Update: This is my go to recipe, I've been making at least two loaves per week since last January, both bread machine and traditional. I admit I have tried a few other recipes, but none hold a candle to this one. Taste and texture is incredible. Thanks again for this great recipe.