Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
Family favourite with lots of flavour. This is a crowd pleaser.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3 eggs (reserve 1 egg white to brush tops)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place parchment paper on a large cookie sheet.
- Sift flours,baking powder,sugar and cinnamon. Add nuts and resift.
- Cut in margarine with finger tips until well blended. Make a well in center.
- Warm honey slightly.
- Put eggs and warmed honey into dry ingredients and knead into a smooth ball.
- Dough should be firm and manageable: if it is too soft and sticky, add a little more flour.
- Divide dough and form into 2 oblong loaves about 1 1/2 inches high and thick.
- Place both loaves on the prepared pan about 4 inches apart.
- Brush top and sides with reserved egg white.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Do not turn oven off.
- Remove from oven,slice in 1/2 inch pieces, place all pieces on one side back on the cookie sheet and return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, turn over all pieces to the other side and return to oven for another 10 minutes.
- Turn off oven, transfer all biscotti to a wire cooling rack and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Store in air-tight container or freezer bags.
- They will stay fresh for weeks.