Recipe by lauralie41
I cant wait to give this bread a try, it is baked in a slow cooker! Found the recipe on Favorite Brand Name Recipes website.
Top Review by Annacia
Just color me pleased and amazed. This was the first time that I've made bread in the slow cooker. It was perfect for summer. I needed to make bread today but the temps have been really high and I wasn't looking forward to turning the oven on. Lauri to the rescue! The bread came out wonderfully risen, fully baked with a very nice crust. Add to that the fact that it tastes great and we have a 5 star winner.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 cups whole milk, warm
- 3⁄4-1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a 1 quart casserole, souffle dish, or any other high sided baking pan that will fit into your slow cooker, coat with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine together 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, milk, 1/2 cup all purpose flour, honey, oil, yeast and salt. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add the remaining whole wheat flour and up to 1/2 cup all purpose flour until dough is no longer sticky. If the electric mixer is have a difficult time mixing the dough use a wooden spoon to mix in the remaining flour. Transfer dough to the prepared baking dish.
- Place dish in slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or until the edges of the bread have browned. Carefully lift the baking dish out of the slow cooker using oven mitts or pot holders. Let bread stand for 5 minutes and than unmold on a wire rack to cool.