Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I cant wait to give this bread a try, it is baked in a slow cooker! Found the recipe on Favorite Brand Name Recipes website.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 cups whole milk, warm
- 3⁄4-1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Using a 1 quart casserole, souffle dish, or any other high sided baking pan that will fit into your slow cooker, coat with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine together 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, milk, 1/2 cup all purpose flour, honey, oil, yeast and salt. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add the remaining whole wheat flour and up to 1/2 cup all purpose flour until dough is no longer sticky. If the electric mixer is have a difficult time mixing the dough use a wooden spoon to mix in the remaining flour. Transfer dough to the prepared baking dish.
- Place dish in slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or until the edges of the bread have browned. Carefully lift the baking dish out of the slow cooker using oven mitts or pot holders. Let bread stand for 5 minutes and than unmold on a wire rack to cool.
Just color me pleased and amazed. This was the first time that I've made bread in the slow cooker. It was perfect for summer. I needed to make bread today but the temps have been really high and I wasn't looking forward to turning the oven on. Lauri to the rescue! The bread came out wonderfully risen, fully baked with a very nice crust. Add to that the fact that it tastes great and we have a 5 star winner.
This is a very easy and flavorful bread. No kneading and it rises in the crock pot, it couldn't be simpler. I didn't have quite enough whole wheat flour left so I ground up some oatmeal into flour and topped up with that. I used my large oval crock pot with a 1.6 L casserole. The only problem I had was some condensation dripping on the top of the bread. I had to place a toothpick under one side of the lid and bake it a bit longer to dry out the top. Next time I'll use the toothpick for the whole baking time to prevent this problem. Made for Kittencal's Kitchen Crock Pot and Rice Cooker Game.
Made this for Kittencals Blog Tag Game. I had a bit of a problem with this as I used the biggest Slow Cooker I had which I thought was the biggest available, but none of my pans fit it correctly, even my bread pan, but tried it by raising the bread as high into the cooker as I could without it touching the lid. Needless to say it took longer to cook than 3 hours,it went over the sides of the loaf pan, someone put their fingers through the top making it not rise the way it should, and ohhh my goodness like what else could have gone wrong with this? Well darn it anyway, at least the flavor of the bread was good, and next time gonna cook this in the oven. Live and Learn!!! Would post a pic of this, but don't think anyone needs to see it, when I make it again tomarrow in the oven I will post a good pic.